About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Thursday 29 May 2014

Race Report: Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll marathon #2 25/05/2014



I ran Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon on 25th May; the first marathon I had ever run in my new home city. 
 
I knew loads of Liverpool Running Club, other friends and of course Sandbach Striders who were running it so had been looking forward to running it since registering last year. It was the first year the R&R Marathon brand had organised a race in the UK and I had heard mixed stories about the organisation and enjoyment of R&R events in other cities. However, as R&R were organising a marathon pretty much on my doorstep, it was way too tempting to turn down!
 
I had been gradually increasing my mileage over the past few months in the build up to the race with regular Saturday morning runs. I had run up to 20 miles in training and I had also incorporated a few hills in anticipation of the climbs at St Domingo Road and Upper Parliament Street so was feeling pretty confident in the final few weeks. The only potential banana skin in my control was that I was an usher at two of my best friend’s, Helen Nash and Sam Gilbert’s, wedding the night before that was scheduled to go on until 2AM!- the lamb shank and pork were delicious, but I don’t think carbing up on cheese and crackers is mentioned in most marathon training guides!

The start line was at the Albert Dock and baggage was very well organised at the Echo Arena; a short walk away. I arrived early with a few of my LRC buddies to see the start of the half marathon at 8AM and was keeping an eye out for my Sandbach Strider running mates, but couldn’t see anyone amongst the crowds.


I positioned myself at the start line alongside Thomas Madden; a 3:30 pacer and friend from LRC. I kept this pace for the first 6 miles or so as the route went through the City Centre passing the Royal Liver Building and Matthew Street where the world famous Cavern Club is located. The route then gradually heads uphill, and includes a full lap of Goodison Park; home of Everton Football Club. By this point it was clear the forecasted showers weren’t going to arrive soon, and the shadows of the stands at Goodison Park were a welcome relief from the heat of the sun. I had taken one of the free Power Bar carb gels which was absolutely disgusting and making me feel a bit sick too! With all this in mind, I slowed my pace down a little and aims of a sub 3:30/PB were looking less likely. I chose to let Thomas and the 3:30 group go, who were actually running below 3:30 pace at that time, but maintained my PB pace of 8:00 minute miles.

The route then headed through Stanley Park before going through Anfield Road and back through Stanley Park. It was a moving site as football fans from all clubs touched the Hillsborough memorial at Liverpool Football Club out of respect for the 96 who lost their lives 25 years ago. It was a motivational experience running back through the beats of the dance music blasting out at Stanley Park and at about the 8 mile mark where runners headed up the first steep hill on St Domingo Road. I have trained up this hill regularly with LRC but never enjoyed it as much as when I ran on Sunday; the marching band was perfectly positioned half way up the hill and really did spur you on up the steep gradient. Once runners reached the top, the postcard skyline view from Everton Valley was as good as I’ve ever seen it; runners could see right over the Mersey to the Wirral and the dwarfed view of the Royal Liver Building gave a grasp of quite how far we’d already come. 
 
The view over Liverpool.
The route then headed back into the city centre and it was just before the 10 mile mark when my only big criticism of the race would be found. At this point runners were heading downhill on the right hand side of the dual carriageway leading into the city. There were no clear markings, marshals or traffic cones suggesting runners should cross the dual carriageway at a specific point and access the left hand side of the dual carriageway. If you failed to take this turn, and realised too late, then runners would be forced to run into the city, thus adding about 800 metres to the distance. Needless to say, after missing this turn and running about 100 metres on the right hand side of the carriageway, I heard shouts of “turn around” and it had become apparent hundreds of runners should have crossed over. Luckily I had only ran an additional 200 metres but it could have been much worse as I saw many runners heading into the city way too far West of the correct route. Adding such a distance to a marathon can no doubt significantly damage a runners target time and psychology so I would hope, and expect, that this problem is fixed next year.  I am sure that every marathon has teething problems in its inaugural year, but this really should have been foreseen from the organisers and marshalled.

Returning into the city centre, the route passed through Chinatown where a band was playing Chinese music and the crowds grew. Shortly after, runners raced up the last big hill of the day at Upper Parliament Street, almost passing the Anglican Cathedral. I had slowed at this point but knew all the big climbs were now completed so was happy to cross the half way line in 1:43:57 shortly after. At about 14 miles, the route did a half loop of my local parkrun at Princes Park in an unfamiliar clockwise direction.
 
The Chinatown gates
From 16 miles to 20 miles, the route takes in about 4 miles worth of the picturesque Sefton Park where, barring the city centre, the crowds were definitely the highest and most supportive. At 17.5 mile and 20 miles I got a much needed boost from my fiancée, Karen Schofield, as I could feel my legs tightening and was now counting down the miles until the finish line. I had started to slow down from 8:00 minute miles to 8:30 miles as I was determined not to stop running until the finish. It was about mile 21 though when fellow Sandbach Strider Steve Farnell passed me and I can honestly say that nobody in the second half of the race who passed me looked as strong as Steve did. Steve and I offered each other a brief bit of encouragement; much needed and appreciated on my side, before Steve shot off into the distance. It was great to see Steve looking so strong and at that point I knew he was due to smash his PB barring any disaster.

At 22 miles the route headed into the woody Otterspool Park. Anybody that has ever run the BTR Liverpool Half Marathon in recent years will know the headwind here can be brutal as runners hit the River Mersey. I was pleasantly surprised that on this occasion there was no breeze whatsoever. However, the lack of breeze was replaced by the relentless midday sun of which there was absolutely no shade. The two water stops at 22 miles and 24 miles seemed a great deal further apart and, as I’m sure most runners were at this stage in the race, I was beginning to get really dehydrated. Despite being dehydrated, sunburnt and a brief moment of cramp in my hamstring, I was continuing to run at maximum 8:45 minute miles and really appreciated the support from Jon Tatham at Mile 25. The support, as the race headed into that last mile really was incredible and it was amazing to finish in a time of 3:36:36 after struggling earlier in the race. That was my second fastest marathon time; second only to Chester in 2011 where I somehow managed to pull a 3:31:12 out of the bag.
I caught up with Steve in the Echo Arena who told me that he had PB’d with a time of 3:31:11. Despite originally thinking, Steve had equalled my PB, Steve actually beat my PB by a solitary second, which I’ll have to use as added motivation if I run another marathon in the near future. Sporting rivalry aside, I was absolutely delighted for Steve and was yet another highlight of an amazing day! Steve actually ran a negative split too and to do that in the heat of the second half was an incredible achievement. I couldn’t find my other Strider teammates after the run, but a massive well done too to Cheryl Hutchins, Michael Escolme, Elaine Tatham, Perry Wyatt and Karen Lovatt who also completed the marathon and to Matt Wood who ran the half marathon distance. Karen managed to knock an incredible 22 minutes off her marathon pb and Matt also got a pb at the half-marathon - a good day at the office all round!
 
Enjoying a post-race free pint of Cobra
The medal and technical running shirt were amongst the best, if not the best, I have been given in the 11 marathons I’ve run to date. Runners got treated to a few pints of complementary Cobra beer too outside the Echo Arena where the main stage was. The Farm were headlining and it was a really good atmosphere resting my legs, proudly wearing my medal and sipping my beer in the sweltering sun to the tune of “All Together Now”. A few of my friends got their medals engraved with their names and times too.
After the Farm, my LRC running mates and I headed to Thomas Rigby’s where there were hundreds of runners from the local running clubs all celebrating an amazing day and achievement. It was in Rigby’s that I received a message from Jason Bulley who had spotted a photo I posted on Facebook, and it was that cringe worthy moment when Jason pointed out I had run the whole marathon with the club vest the wrong way round....... eek! In my defence, I didn’t get back to Liverpool from my mates wedding until gone 1AM the night before, so I must have been half asleep putting my race number on! Still, it was probably (and hopefully!) only Sandbach Striders that would have realised this, as it had taken until that moment for Jason to point it out. I’m sure I won’t live that down for a while though!!
 
The bling
The party at Rigby’s went on into the night although there was obviously very little dancing from any runner! I have heard R&R have signed up to Liverpool for the next four years, and if this is true then I will definitely be on board next year. I’m sure the 10 mile blip in this year’s marathon will be ironed out as I’ve already seen plenty of feedback on this, and popularity will grow! All the results were published in the Echo where the race got a great write up, and the race got plenty of television coverage so hopefully this will be the start of a growing event!

For more information visit the race website.

Paul B.