About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 8 June 2014

Race Report: Big Welsh Trail Half-marathon 07/06/2014

A few weeks ago, I remembered that I had said I would run the 30 mile ultra at Dig Deep, which was in 4 weeks time. I quickly devised a training plan which meant I needed to find a 13 mile race on this particular weekend. I found this one advertised on the South Cheshire Harriers website. This race is now in its second year, and includes both a half marathon (£25) and a 10k (£17). 



I woke up on the Saturday morning to thunder and lightning, and a torrential downpour. I was really undecided whether to go or not, thinking that it wasn’t a particularly good idea to be running through a forest in a thunder storm. However, the thought that other Striders were competing in the Blenheim Triathlon and Sandstone Trail races that day made my excuse seem a bit feeble. Also Chris assured me that it would be ‘character building!’ so I went.

It was about an hour drive to Llandegla, and the races started and finished at the visitor centre, with a café and cycle shop. Registration was quick and easy, and we were given a smart black technical T-shirt.

As we were there about an hour early, as recommended to park up etc, Chris went off to run with the dog, and decided to run the route in reverse, and be back in time to see me finish. I met up with Philip Truman, who was running the 10K.

The half marathon started at 12.00 and the 10K at 12.15. As we waited for the start the rain started again, and we were all soaked and shivering by the time the race started. Within 1 minute the narrow lane started to climb, and the coats soon came off. We turned into forest tracks, both muddy and gravel. The course was extremely undulating which for me included lots of walking opportunities. At 4 miles, I met Chris running towards me, having enjoyed his run, and informing me that the bog trotting we had recently experienced in Scotland would be coming in useful. At around 9 miles the trails exited the forest and climbed out onto the moors up to Offas Dyke. The first part was really nice easy running on a plank footpath. This soon disappeared, and was replaced with mud and bogs. It was knee deep in places, and the kind of ground which you didn’t know how far you were going to sink in! This continued for 2 miles before dropping down to a reservoir, running around that and back up to the finish.


At the end we were greeted with drinks, crisps, oranges and bananas… and a welsh slate coaster. The race was chip timed (I came in at 2:29 and Philip at 1:05), and really well marshaled and sign posted with arrows, tape and paint. A BBQ was available at the café, and is a nice event for runners and spectators alike. One I would do again.

For more information visit the Big Welsh Trail website.