About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 13 June 2014

Race Report: Potters 'Arf Half-marathon 08/06/2014 #1

Having decided to focus on running faster, rather than longer this year the Potters ‘Arf presented itself as an ideal opportunity to complete some ‘unfinished business’. 
Steve crossing Town Bridge on the way back into Hanley town centre

For those who aren’t aware, the Potters ‘Arf gives out ‘special’ medals for gun times under 2 hours, Sub 2 earns you a bronze, sub 1:45 a silver and sub 1:30 a gold. Back in 2010 at my second ever race with no idea about training I narrowly missed out on a bronze which led me to return in 2011 where my chip time would have earned me a silver medal but I was denied because my gun time was over 1:45!

This year I met with fellow Striders Tom, Mik, Karen and Lindsay prior to the race. The Potters ‘Arf always has a reputation for being run on hot days, and despite the forecast of rain, somehow the organisers had managed to arrange a glorious sunny day for us to run up the multitude of hills that Potters in renowned for.

Having got myself quite near the start along with the other Striders, I was determined to do all I could to earn the silver medal I felt I was owed. As everyone shuffled across the mats I found myself bogged down trying to run around people while watching my fellow Striders disappear into the distance. Fortunately the crowds thinned out after about half a mile and as I caught Mik we passed a few words of encouragement as we set off towards the first big hill heading into Fenton.
Steve still going strong at mile 11
The Potters ‘Arf was just as I’d remembered it, and after putting in an initial effort to reclaim my lost time I soon settled into a rhythm. As per my previous races here the crowds did not disappoint, the scenery may not be glamorous, but with spectators constantly supporting you and trying to feed you your own body weight in jelly babies who could complain.

Eventually though, I came upon the dreaded Heartbreak Hill, kindly signpost 200m beforehand by the organisers just to add to your sense of dread! As I approached I saw a friend of mine a couple of hundred metres ahead who usually beats me by a few minutes which I took to be a good sign. I turned right to run up the hill and I swear it has got steeper since last time I ran it. After running for about a minute I soon realised that walking was more economical than running, and in doing so was soon overtaking people who were trying to run.

As I crested the hill I knew I was still on for a good time, I just need to get going again. With about half a mile to go I once again caught my friend, and to my shame, used him as a target to pass. As you can imagine though, when I did pass, I made sure I looked and sounded fresh, despite feeling the exact opposite!

After this point I was pretty much on my own with no other runners near me so really enjoyed the cheers of the crowd as I ran past the Potteries Centre towards the finishing line, I could see the gun time clearly showing 1:41 and was sure I should get my silver medal this time. 

My paranoia got the best of me and in retrospect I have to admit to feeling slightly guilty about pretty much snatching the medal out of the hands of the young volunteer and immediately inspecting it to confirm it was silver, but in my defence, I’d been waiting since 2011 to get my hands on it!

All in all it was a good day, with a time of 1:40:42 I’d earned a PB and the silver medal I’d coveted for so long. I can honestly say that anyone who completed the race deserves a pat on the back as it was a very hot and hilly race, in fact, you could even say it was pretty tough!
Four of the five Striders after the race
For more information, visit the website.

Steve F.