About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Friday 6 June 2014

Race Report: Wincle Trout Run 31/05/2014

Well what did I let myself in for. I finally got to Wincle after waiting at traffic lights for 20 minutes before I got through the town which was setting up for the commonwealth torch. 


As I was massaging before and after the race,  I borrowed the hubby’s car which was struggling to get up hills, which was a bit of a worry as his car is much more sturdy and faster than my little Zebbedee.   Once I got there I soon saw a few more striders and learnt that this year’s route would be much more hillier as we were starting at a higher point.  I saw some very big hills in the distance and was told ”that is where you have to run too”.  Oh no ( I hate hills).  Soon I was on the starting line with Jill, Cheryl, Gordon, Chris, Lindsay and Christiane. I told Christiane that she could have my trout, I am not good with something that winks at me and has a tail (ugh). Last year a cat benefitted from it.




The first 1/4 mile was downhill but I soon realised that this would also be the finish.  Why of why did I not just stay at home. Enoug, I digress. Even though the weather was muggy but overcast there was still a lot of mud around which aided to a lot of slipping and sliding and grabbing hold of branches to stop me falling into even more mud.  After a few downhills and uphills and climbing over styles we reached  “Ludds Church Path”. Everyone that got on this path ended up walking as it was just too steep. It was here I managed to catch my breath and assess my strategy of running as hard as I could, which was not working. 

Over a few more styles and then came the nice stretch past the hanging gate, downhill to the fish farm and Wincle Brewery (I recognised this stretch from last year). I caught a couple of runners here on the trail path. Right turn and a few ups and downs then I could see the marquees in the distance and hear the cheering of the crowd. The last 5 minutes of running was ahead and I knew it was that flaming hill. I tried to dig deep but my legs were like jelly (not to oneself – don’t do a spinning class the night before this race).   Woo hoo the end was in site and to cheer me on, my fellow striders all supporting there glorious trouts.  Thanks to Jason for the photo – proof that we all ended up with trouts that were definitely pouting!!!!



Although this is a tough race, I’d recommend it, you have to throw out any thoughts of getting a good time on this course, because it’s not how fast you can do it, but, the fact that you finish it covered in mud and a smile on your face.

For more information visit the website.

Liz