About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 11 August 2014

Race Report: Pie and Peas 5m 06/08/20154-

After completing the Striders couch – 5k course and suffering intermittently with ankle tendon problems I never thought I could walk five miles never mind run that far. 
Isobel and Lindsay on the opening road section.
With some physio and rest my ankle had improved sufficiently around two weeks ago for a small seed to be planted that I might just be able to complete this Pie & Peas Race that I heard so many Striders talking about. A few days before the actual race I had a little public wobble of confidence on the Striders Facebook Group and I immediately received lots of encouraging comments and offers of support from lifts to the event to running companions. I then signed up.


Isobel and Lindsay a mile in on the gravel track.
On the day of the race I spent a few hours on Sandbach Park with Mik, Paul and Lou as part of National Play Day organising flat races and egg and spoon for the children. This proved to be a good warm up as the course was on a steep sloped area of the park.

The arrangement for the evening was to meet at the club to lift share to the event. Whilst there Paul noticed I didn’t have a Striders vest and kindly lent me one- at last I got to wear one!  I probably drove Terry and Perry mad in the car as I waffled on as my nerves had kicked in.  

Once at the event we had a club photo and the head count was 40 Striders- a fantastic turn out!
Lindsay and Sarah still smiling at mile 4 
At the starting line I stayed right near to the back with Isobel as planned. I did notice there was no fancy dress and a lot of beanpoles in vests as predicted by Mik. Following a short run through the village we then went off road where Isobel pulled away and stayed with Sarah F. Much of the course is a blur to me but I do certainly remember the “hill”. Jo described it to me as “a bit of a motorway bridge type hill”. This was a massive understatement and it can be best described as a killer and I may have mentioned this several times. The path by the water was beautiful and I actually enjoyed this part. We were soon back on the road and there were supporters lining the route which really helped spur us on despite the smell of pie.


Lindsay and Sarah on the final lap of the playing field
As we reached the field towards the finish line Sarah and I agreed to stay together over the line. It was fantastic to see and hear all the Striders who had already finished cheer us home. Once I saw the clock at the end I felt my pace quicken and I was sprinting with Sarah besides me. The sense of achievement and pride was far more important to me than the time taken to complete the race.

The spirit of camaraderie and support was reinforced yet again when Sarah M came on the field as myself and several Striders ran with her to the finishing line.


Most of the 40+ Striders who entered the Pie and Peas
Back at the British Legion with my pie in a doggy bag for my husband (I did offer it to Mik) talk soon turned to upcoming races and events. For me personally all I can say is bring on the next one!

For more information visit the Vale Royal AC Pie and Peas webpage.

Lindsay