About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 8 September 2014

Race Report: Delamere Trail Half-marathon 07/09/2014

I didn’t think Delamere was very hilly so it was fairly easy to persuade me to enter this race. I became slightly worried when, the day before the race, I was informed that Delamere was hilly – by now it was much too late to do any hill training! 

Lou, Heather, Tony, Mat and Steph


The day dawned bright and sunny, perfect for a run.  We arrived without a lot of time to spare and I still had to change into my morris dancers outfit. I was giving the costume a comfort test before the Meddoc Marathon. The ever crazy Matt agreed to wear fancy dress too so that I wouldn’t too silly – he made a lovely Snow White!  Steph and Louise had also entered in the spirit of things with dwarf hats and painted cheeks.

Heather with her bells jangling in the wind
The race was well organised with plenty of parking, short toilet queues and chip timing.  The half marathon, which Tony, Matt and I had entered started a little before the 10k which Steph and Louise were running.  Having not done a half marathon for about a year I failed to pace myself and ran off much too quickly – it’s so hard not to get carried away when the adrenalin is flowing and people are clapping on the side lines.  I paid the penalty for a quick start, of course, when after a few miles I was struggling up hills and then a few miles after that struggling on the flat too!  It was though a lovely course along a mixture of broad cinder tracks and muddy paths winding through the trees.  Just when I thought the worst was probably over, since the finishing line was drawing near, the route took us up Old Pale Hill, the highest point in mid Cheshire. It was at this point I contemplated, as I do at some point in most races, giving up running and taking up a less arduous hobby – like Morris dancing.


Nevertheless, we all finished having enjoyed a hard run in lovely countryside.  A good run which I would recommend to anyone who fancies a local trail run and is prepared for a few hills.

For more information visit the website.

Heather