About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Race Report: Fleetwood Half-marathon 24/08/2014

For my first official race as a Strider, some may think that a half marathon was a little ambitious.  

 I set myself a personal goal of completing the Fleetwood Half Marathon several months ago.  On paper, the race is 3 loops along the promenade. Having spent many a childhood weekend on the Fylde coast, this cold either be a flat, fast course or if it was raining and windy a true exercise in endurance against the elements.  The event proved to be a nice, uncomplicated run on a rather pleasant bank holiday morning, but was 13.1 miles too ambitious?



I started running in late November 2013, and joined Sandbach Striders in April 2014.  Although I only pop up every now and again, usually on a Sunday or Monday, I appreciate the support and warm welcome I always get.  So, after a rather slow start of getting my very lapsed cycling legs used to running I decided to set some goals.  I gave myself 4 months to get fit enough to finish a half marathon.  Fleetwood looked perfect for time, but also allowed a trip to see my half brothers and potentially spend the bank holiday nursing aching legs.


The day of the event eventually came round, and arriving in Fleetwood proved there to be plenty of parking, even if it meant a short walk to collect numbers.  The uncomplicated, low-key organisation works well, with numbers easy to collect with minimal fuss.  As the start approached, there was a slight delay to allow the loo queue to clear which nobody minded and at least showed the organisers cared enough to wait.  After a few short safely announcements, which 
had just enough humour to help with nerves, the race started.  There are no chip times for the race, but the relatively small field meant everyone was through in good time.

The race starts down the promenade, and then sweeps inland a short way.  There are plenty of long, flat drags.  Whilst the promenade itself is not especially picturesque, a quick look to your right and the majesty of the south Lake District can be seen, and seeing Blackpool tower in the distance straight ahead will always provoke childhood memories for me.  An expectedly pleasant experience was listening to gentle waves crashing on the beach.

I was making good time up to 10 miles, with a solid 1.45 on the cards.  Unfortunately, my endurance evaded me, and the last 3 miles went a little slower.  I eventually finished in 1.57.31.  I had secretly hoped to get under 2 hours, and I achieved that, so I was a happy Strider.  The race has shown me some weaknesses and also some strengths and work will continue to always strive to improve.


I would recommend this race to those who do not mind making the trip to he Fylde.  Fylde Coast Running put on a good show, with a nice, cheap price (probably reflecting the lack of chip timing and a T-shirt) and a no-nonsense but professional approach to organising the event.  Water stations were distributed at just the right times and members of the local running club were acting roving water stations and general motivation.  On the right day, this course could be a PB course with long, flat straights and a minimum number of sharp turns.  If you're planning a trip to the seaside, with a little run thrown in, give this one a whirl.

For more information visit the Fleetwood half-marathon website.

Nick F.