About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Race Report: Gritstone Grind 35m Ultra 07/09/2014

I’d always insisted that I’d never run an ultra event, a marathon was as far as I’d ever go. ]
The start at Kidsgrove station
Then last year someone set up the Gritstone Grind, 35 miles through and over Mow Cop,
Bosley Cloud, Teggs Nose country park, the Macclesfield hills and Lyme Park, all areas that I knew well and liked running in. I didn’t enter the first event as I was injured, but the 3 Striders who did enter it came back saying what a great event it was, so I finally gave in and entered it.
5 miles in at the top of Mow Cop
Not surprisingly I got a little bit nervous in the few weeks leading up to the event. This was made worse by a lack of long distance training, 15 miles was the longest run that I’d managed. Jo and Mat, who were going to run it with me, pulled out with a few weeks to go, but Chris took one of the places and Jill kindly agreed to drop us in Kidsgrove and pick us up in Disley at the end of the day which saved us both a 5am start. Most people who gave me advice told me to take it easy, take plenty of food, and if in doubt stop and walk for a bit. 
The bottom of Bosley Cloud
Anyway enough of my waffling. I’d been told to take it easy & not worry about a few seconds here and there, so decided to take the camera and record the event. At the end of a week of rain it was a beautiful sunny day with spectacular views over the course, so I’ll let the pictures tell most of the rest of the story.


Jill and André (bottom right) met us at the top
The only important point which I didn’t catch on camera was the food stops. There were three of them with plenty of cake, samosas, crisps, coke (nobody ever told me that ultra runs were powered on junk food!), fruit and water. I’d brought some food but was very glad for the extra. There was also plenty of recovery pasta, soup and salad at the finish line in the community centre, and we all needed it!
Looking back at Sandbach, wondering how many Striders are still having a lie in
All in all it was an exhausting day out, it took me over 7 hours to get round, but I’m very glad that I did it. The weather was too hot for race running, but suited me and anyone else who wasn’t taking it too seriously. 
Half way up Wincle Minn, about 15 miles in. This was where I first started to get cramp.
The course was well marked with the Gritstone Trail footpath signs and the next hill is always visible, so navigation wasn’t too hard (several people did take wrong turns but got back on track quite quickly). 
Wincle Minn, looking towards the transmitter on Croker Hill
I’ll probably run another ultra at some time in the future, and would definitely consider this one again.
At the half way point, and photobombed by Mik’s friend Wona who recognised my Striders vest
For more information visit the Gritsone Grind website.

Before the steep climb up Teggs Nose (I’d given up trying to run uphill by this point)This is also after a ½ mile detour following someone who was lost 
.
Coming down Teggs Nose and the end is almost in sight: It’s just down to the bottom of the hill, up White Nancy (centre), down the other side, up to Sponds Hill (right) and another 5 miles to the end. No wonder Chris stopped at the ice cream van here
Panorama shot from near the top of Teggs Nose

The top of White Nancy, with the last hill in the background

I’d just done my slowest ever marathon, but why stop there?

Lyme Park, and it’s almost all downhill from here. (And I even ran most of it)

Both finished, just don’t ask us to stand up!


Martin C