About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Race Report: Run Marbury Reverse 10K 31/08/2014

I remember a conversation with Andrew Gibson during the Couch to 5K training programme.  
Amy and Lindsay all smiles at the finish line
We’d built up to running for just over half an hour non stop and I was quizzing him on running 10k races.  I listened with interest as he told me that that he enjoyed 10k more than 5k because you could get into a rhythm and just run.  I never for one minute thought that less than 6 month later, I would be running my first 10k and trying to find that rhythm.


So it was with excitement that I donned my Striders vest for the first time and headed over to Northwich to take part in the Marbury Reverse 10K with my partner in crime Lindsay Beech and our ever supportive pro Karen Lovett.  Also representing Striders were Mat Simister, Lucy Lee and Steph Cooper.  No other club was represented like Sandbach Striders!

Now if anyone wants to calm their nerve with a giggle before a race, stand next to Mat for a warm up. I will say no more – you have to see it for yourself!
Striders getting ready for the big off
And then to the race itself:  The route is described as a mixture of woodland trails, grass and footpaths.  Unfortunately as a result of the recent rain and the 5k run the previous day, there was mud, mud and more mud on the trails and grass. No mention was made of the, sometimes cliff-like  undulations (ok, perhaps that’s just how they felt!) or the footbridge with the slippery steps.  However, none of that stopped Lindsay and me attempting a sprint at the sight of the finish line.  At that point we should have remembered the aforementioned muddy slippery grass – cue two ladies doing their best new born foal impression! (Thanks for catching that on camera Mat!)

Once we’d got our legs back and collected our medals, it was off to fill our goody bags, and fill them we did. Thanks to Roberts Bakery for the gingerbread men and clusters and Fuel and Zeo for the drinks. 
The Striders before the race
The atmosphere at the course was fantastic and the organisers Rick and Lee did a great job.  It’s a course that suits newbies like myself and Lindsey but also serious racers.  I sit here tonight proud of myself first of all for even agreeing to enter but secondly proud that Lindsey and I ran the whole distance together.  We’ve come a long way since the start of the Couch to 5k and I know that I speak for Lindsey too when  say a big big thank you to all at Striders for getting us round today.

For more information visit the Run Marbury website.

Amy N.