About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Sunday 26 April 2015

Race Report: Milford Murder 5m Trail Race 23/04/2015

On Thursday 23 April to celebrate St George’s Day I decided to accompany my good friend Sue Davies on the Milford Murder 5 mile trail race.  

Liz just ahead of her pal Sue from South Cheshire Harriers at the top of the first big hill
This race is part of the Spring Treble series organised by the Stone Master Marathoners and it comprises three 5 mile off road (trail) races run on three consecutive Thursday at 7.00pm. They are namely, Hanchurch Hilly (say no more), Mildford Murder (and it is) and Barleston Up and Down ( aah but you get a lovely buffet at the end of this race).  I last ran the series in 2013 and won my age group (V55) and my time then was 57.03, therefore, my strategy was to beat this time.



Big thanks to Sue for driving to the race as the normal route to it had road closures so we set off early on an alternative route that got us there in plenty of time. Unlike the poor runner that had to park his car in Stafford and run 3 miles to the race!  Well this race certainly lived up to its name and I suddenly remembered that as I was on the start line with a lot of familiar faces. There was a big presence from Congleton Harriers and Trentham tonight.   The weather was absolutely fab, so much so I got to wear my shorts and vest and was glad as it was hot

Still smiling on the finishing straight
The whistle went and we were off, along the flat for 200 yards then a sharp turn to the left (oh god I remember now).  For 5 minutes we climbed uphill, stumbling on loose stones as the top of my thighs and calves burned.  Many stopped to walk but I was determined, up on my toes I got, Sue was right by my side, she’s good on hills.  Now I know why they called it the Mildford Murder, because that hill was pure murder.  A lot passed me by but I stuck to my strategy and got to the top, yeah, now for the downhill, yes it was fast but you had to watch the stones.  The rest of the course was extremely undulating, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t.  At 17 minutes I passed a lovely 75 year old and thought “blooming Norah she’s moving fast” which I mentioned to the runner beside me, she laughed and said “No duck, she starts earlier than everyone else (phew)”.  At this point there was a small climb and I managed to pass a few runners, soon there was a downhill and as mentioned a lot of loose stones.  Before I knew it, I was back on the second loop and approaching a killer hill which in the past has been knee high in nettles and bracken. However, this had all been cut away and you could actually see the top of the hill. I was determined I was not walking any of it and kept on my toes. Finally, at the top, turning to the right on the way home my heart skipped a beat, I remembered the course, yikes this was the worst part, no not another hill, it was all downhill for a good quarter of a mile, but this was really stony and rutted and here is where you had to watch your footing. I’d been chasing two Congleton gals and we’d had a game of cat and mouse for the last mile, but they went whizzing past me on this part of the course. (but they were about 20 years younger than me).  I dug in on the last hill and was on the straight to the finishing line.  Yipee, I survived another year at Milford and came home in a time of 55.56.

For those of you who enjoy a good off road race, I can recommend this series as it is really good value for the money (£20) for all three races, and, you get a nice tea shirt at the end of it and a lovely buffet spread after the Barleston race which is next Thursday  30 April, 7.00pm at Barleston Cricket Club.

For more information on the race visit the Stone MM website.

Right I am off to foam roller my aching hamstrings.   

Cheers Liz