About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Race Report: Chester Half-marathon 17/05/2015

My alarm clock woke me up, at the rather unsociable time of 6am on Sunday 17th of May, it was the 'Chester Half Marathon' day, and an early race start of 9am, meant I had to be on the move early. 

Arriving in Chester in good time, I parked and walked to the start area, Chester Racecourse. The Chester Half is one of the bigger halfs, with 7000 runners entered. There were seven striders taking part in this event, John Wright, Chris Holden, Christine Bunte, Lucy Lee, Phil Truman, Karen Lovatt and myself, being such a big event,  I never saw any of them beforehand, as it was a sea of runners.



With half an hour to spare, I dropped of my bag at the 'bag zone', and did the pre race routine of checking my shoe laces umpteen times! multiple toilet trips and lastly a warm up. At 9 o'clock prompt we were sent on our way, out through the city centre and out to the suburbs. I had no game plan for this race, if I could do a sub 1hr 30min, I'd be pleased, but I didn't want to put pressure on myself. However I was in good shape, having run some good 10k times, and 10 mile race times.

My first mile was 6 min 20 sec, fast, probably too fast, but I felt comfortable and carried on. I then then knocked off successive 6 min 30 sec miles and felt fairly relaxed so carried on. At the 6 mile marker, the course doubled back so we were able to see the front runners, it was only when I doubled back and after a few minutes, noticed the 
1 hr 30 min pacer a good way behind me I realised I could be on for a fast time.

The route then meandered back down the country lanes towards Chester,and  I was still able to hold a 6 min 30 sec mile pace. The course on the whole is relatively flat, with a few undulations, however at mile 12, there was  a nasty sting in the tail, with what felt like a long uphill mile to the finish, it hurt to say the least. Back in the centre of Chester, we had a 200 yard sprint, to finish down the narrow cobbled streets, with a mass of cheering supporters to finish under the clock  tower. I was a little dumbstruck to see my finishing time of 1hr 25min, knocking off 4 minutes of my previous pb. John came home in 1hr 41min (pb), Chris Holden in 1hr 54min (pb), Christiane in 1hr 54min (pb), Lucy in 1hr 59min (pb), Phil in 2hr 7min and Karen in 2hr 22min.

This is a great race, well organised, with lots of support from the locals, even live bands on the route to keep you going, thoroughly recommend it.

For more information, visit the race website.

Tony