About us

Sandbach Striders was born back in 2003. Since the early days, membership has grown with a firm ethos of the club being not just about running but social activities as well. The club is affiliated to UK AAA and has its own qualified coaches. Many other special events take place on various nights too.

The club meets on Wednesdays at 18:30 and Sundays at 09:00 at Elworth Cricket Club.

Whilst many members compete in races from 5k to Marathons, the emphasis remains purely on keeping people motivated and having fun. Why not scan through our race reports to see what we’ve been up to? Having read them, you’re sure to see why Sandbach Striders has developed the motto of being

"No Ordinary Running Club!"

Monday 1 June 2015

Race Report: Wincle Trout Run 29/05/2015


Saturday 30 May saw 8 striders run the demanding but scenic 9K Wincle Trout race. 
Liz on the river crossing
It's described as a trail race but realistically it's a fell one.  Every year the race starts at a different place because it's rotated between three farms. This year we started on the mid section on the Dane Valley hills. 


As the 1 2 3 shout was given over 370 runners were off along a trail path heading towards their first hill. boy what a hill that was - I don't think I saw anyone actually run up it!!  Little did we know that the evil hill would be visited again.  Yes there was mud - in fact it slowed me down on the steep downhills as I lost my footing quite a bit.  I'd be lying if I said the course was undulating - more like flaming hilly. We climbed lots of stiles and crossed the River Dane which was a bit slippery but 8 managed to stay upright. It's nice to see Bryan Dale there - thou the poor lamb must be freezing in his big waders.  The downhill section around the 8k mark was brilliant but little did we know that the last 1k would mean us climbing that hill again.  Note to Julian when it's this route again please put a rope up the side we'd all really appreciate the help-  pretty please.

Striders before the race start
The best part was just round the corner, a downhill run then quick turn to the left and the finish line where I was cheered on by my fellow Striders. I improved on my time by 4 minutes this year. Yes the Wincle is not for the faint hearted but what a great race and you get your tea at the end of it -albeit you've got to gut it, behead it and then debone it. And that is why I give my trout to Christiane.  
Liz crossing the finishing line
For more information visit the race website.

Liz